NO, I will not drink that beer!




We had a couple of eventful days this week. On Wednesday we slipped into a church building to do companionship study. It turned out that a stake was doing baptisms at the Gilbert temple for girls camp so we walked in on a variety of classes going on for the girls who were waiting to take their turn in the temple. A nice gentleman pulled us into a mission prep class, so we spontaneously spent a portion of our afternoon at a girls "camp" talking about missionary work. So fun. 

  We had dinner with one of our members in the young single adult ward we cover. Her name is Sofia, and she's super cute. We like her. She had a guy friend (just a friend, really he's like her brother) over for dinner as well and the second he walked in we could just tell he was a troublemaker. Mostly because he told me that I looked like a troublemaker and, you know what they say, it takes one to know one. 😎

 It was quite the hilarious dinner. Although, it was rather weird, as this guy kinda reminded me of my dad (hi dad), just less mature because he was 20 years younger. 

 He had the same style of jokes and swore from time to time (so sorry to call you out Dad, you can delete this section if you like😚). 

 It was super weird, and the guy made it ten times weirder as he asked me (after I told him he reminded me of my dad (hi Dad)), and I quote,

 "Who's more attractive?"




.....................................................................



Um, I'm a sister missionary. I don't see people in terms of attractiveness; I see them in terms of readiness to accept the restored gospel. (.....Lies 🙉)

 It was awkward. I turned red. It was more awkward. 

 Whatta life to live. 

After dinner, we went gallivanting through a neighborhood and stumbled across some guys playing corn hole. We started talking to them and realized pretty quickly that they were a little tipsy. 

 They tried to get us to take a drink of alcohol, we tried to get them to read the Book of Mormon, and we played a couple of rounds of corn hole. One of them tried to slip a beer into Sister H's bag. 

 We made some new friends, although they probably don't remember us as they passed tipsy and were on their way to drunk as can be. 

 On Sunday we met another drunk guy. He was walking his dog around one of our apartment complexes, and when he saw us he said,

 "Are you guys....uh...Jesus?"

 Not quite. 

 "Sorrysorrysorry, I mean you girlshhs talking bout the guy?"

 Sorry sir, you've lost us. 

 "That'ssoooo grreat."

 Would you like to talk to us about Jesus?

 "Nonononono I got two kids from two different women!! Jesus is not NOT for me."

 Jesus is for everyone. 

 "Nope nope nope."

 Yes yes yes. 

 We can teach you all about how Jesus is for everyone no matter what their circumstances.

 "Haha haha you're nottt going ta get meeeeee. That book you've got right there would burn up in my hands! HAHAHA HA."

  False. We promise that the Book of Mormon will not spontaneously combust when you hold it. 

 "Nononono. I'm not havin' it. Go talk to them." (Points sloppily is a random direction.)

 Them? 

 "Yeah uhuhh them."  

 You'll have to give us more than that.

 "Two doors down on the right."

 That was surprisingly specific.

 "Haha yeah, they need a message about your Jesus! But don't tell 'em I sent ya! Harharhar ha."

 We made no such promise. 

 We knocked on the door he told us to, and the person who opened the door was actually a member. 

 Oh, the hilarity. 

 It was a lady who goes to the Spanish ward; she was so sweet. 

 Miraculously enough, she had a friend she'd been talking to and wanted to invite the friend to meet with us. 

 God works in mysterious ways. 




Now for the big news. 

 When I got into this area (about two months ago), I met a recent convert who had a friend who wanted to take the missionary lessons. We were supposed to have a lesson that same week, but it fell through. We've been trying to set something up for the last two months and have not been successful in the slightest. This weekend our friend texted us and told us that her friend wanted to meet with us this Tuesday! We were so excited. 

 Our new investigator's name is Jenny (not really, but we're not supposed to use their real names or something along those lines) and she is as cute as a button. She had attended institute these last couple of semesters and strongly believes that we lived with God before we came to earth. She just lights up when she feels the spirit! We are really really really excited to teach her. 

 We also had zone conference yesterday with Elder Clayton, so that's pretty rad. I haven't had time to mull it over so don't ask me what I learned. 

 In case you haven't noticed, I'm really struggling to find a balance with these emails. I either recount random experiences or share a spiritual thought. I can't seem to do both. Oh well, it looks like you're inline for a spiritual thought next week!

 Love, 

 Sister Barlow

Comments

Popular Posts