Not yet 5 and 2


Monday night we had FHE with our YSA. It was my first one in a long time. And it was WILD. We went on a scavenger hunt in groups of five, and we ended up in the car with the same driver that almost killed us last Tuesday when we drove down to the Mesa temple for the Easter pageant. Unfortunately, the math worked out in such a way that meant that the sister missionaries (hi) were squished into the back seat with a boy. Awkward. My sister bubble was demolished. Really awkward. I forgot how uncomfortable YSAs could be.

A quick perusal of the list of items needed for this scavenger hunt pushed us to the church library. From there we found that "a sock with holes" was on our list. The island became an alter as I yanked my sock off and sacrificed it in hopes of victory. (Sorry for ruining my sock, parents. It was for a very good cause. My team and I appreciate your contribution.)

And even with such effort, we only came in second place. Tragic.

Last night we roasted marshmallows with a family of giants. They asked me how tall I was to which I responded,

"Not yet 5 and 2." (#BennettBurns)

And then they laughed. Not at my Pride and Prejudice reference, but at my shortness.

The rest of this week has been focused on getting Sister C ready to go home. Lots of visits were made, and many goodbyes were given. There have not been too many tears, though a new language has been invented. "Stressiety." It's when your stress and anxiety manifest themselves in random noises.

Friday night we had dinner with a tiny and fierce Honduran woman and a recent convert in one of our wards who hails from India. (Yes, he is very excited about the temple to be built there.)

The dinner conversation soon turned to missionary work. The experiences, the blessings, the awkwardness, the reasons for it, and the opposition working against it.

The basic idea of missionary work was summed up by our Honduran friend, Letty:

"You know the truth, so talk about it!"

That's all, that's it. You know it, so talk about it. Pretty simple. Just use your personal knowledge. Use it to bless, use it to uplift and guide and energize. Just use it.

In the wise words of my friend Beth, just K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Don't be stupid folks and keep it simple.
Love,
Sister Barlow

Comments

Popular Posts