Happy New Year!


This Saturday my comp turned 20 so we partied all the day long. The morning of her big day, I set a goal to get a stranger to sing her happy birthday, and she said a prayer that she would have a rockin’ birthday in the mission field. And then things went crazy. 

 We were out the door and on the bikes for about ten minutes when we met an old guy waiting for the bus. Two minutes into the conversation and he's already singing her happy birthday. That, ladies and germs (a pun, because I am sick AGAIN), is how you set a goal and succeed at life. 

 Five minutes after that, the birthday girl ran over a thorn and popped her tire. And there goes the day.

 We spend the next 15 minutes walking our bikes to our ward mission leader's home, took an impromptu trip to Walmart for bike stuff, and somehow ended up running around with the ward mission leader's daughters for a lunch break to hit up all of the places that give you free things for your birthday. 

 God is in the details, including the thorn in our tire that led to the most fun birthday food tour of our lives and an answered prayer. 



Exchanges also happened at some point this week. I stayed in the area with Sister O. Sister O is from Japan and, after a funny exchange with a troublemaker of an old man, told me that the hardest thing for her to understand about the English language is our use of sarcasm. I laughed. A lot. 

 Sister O is a diamond of a missionary. I've never met anyone who pedals so fast, dashes over to talk to literally everyone, teaches the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ so clearly and powerfully, and who somehow is always eating a granola bar. 

Seriously. Every time I turned around, she was unwrapping another one! 

 From her I learned that I really can do this. 

 In case any of you have missed it, this area is a really hard one. 

 Let me be clear, I wake up frustrated and go to bed frustrated. 

 Why? 

 You can refer to my previous emails for a more in-depth answer, but the basic synopsis is that no one will listen. 

 The people here have heard from the messengers of the gospel so much that they just brush us off. 

 Sister O was a breath of fresh air that I needed. 

 I can't fully explain what has changed or why it's changed. All I know is that after my exchange with Sister O, I felt like I could do this.

 And I know I can. Because my God is with me. 

 That's all I need to know for this new area, and that's all you need to know for this new year. 

 Happy New Year, everyone!

 May God bless you.

 All my love, 

Sister Barlow

Thank you Uncle Martin for my Christmas sweater!


Comments

Popular Posts