Oh Mission Life


She's awesome!

We had a lesson Friday night that was stress ridden due to the theme of submission to the natural man. A brief summary of the situation that taught me of the sensitivity of the spirit:


  • filthy house
  • spiritually clouded recent convert
  • distracted lesson
  • stopped the lesson to sing a hymn
  • spirit joined the lesson
  • friends of recent convert stumbled into the house
  • spirit leaves
  • friends very much NOT spiritually inclined
  • life is scary
  • we get the heck out of dodge



We left that lesson entirely drained.  My whole body was tense. I did a lot of twitching in the car. Some how, some way we have to get her out of the house for lessons. 

 In other news, transfer calls came last night. Sister Foster and I must part ways for now. I'm absurdly happy to be staying. Yesterday I kept feeling like I was leaving and was sad and stressed out about the idea. I'm pretty sure that was God helping me recognize my own growth so that when I found out I was staying, I'd be happy to. It worked!

 It always amazes me just how much God is aware and how prematurely He puts things in place to help us. Like the other day, I was just super stressed out, and we had a service project that morning. A service opportunity was exactly what I needed to chill out, and God put it in place a week before for the exact day when I turned into a spaz case. 

 The topic of charity has been popping up a lot recently (hmm...maybe God is trying to tell me something), and I've picked up on a new idea (new to me at least). You see, we read in the scriptures that we are to become like God, that is the goal of our existence at this point (as far as I'm aware). The thing about God is that it is love that seems to fuel all of His actions. It was His love that pulled us into creation, His love that propelled the plan of salvation, His love that provided a Savior, and His love that carries us forward day by day. Our Heavenly Father is truly a god of absolute love. This is something that I have known for a really long time, but something has clicked further. If we are to become like Him, we have to learn how to love as He does. It's an integral part of the process. This can be frustratingly difficult but is entirely possible. What I've noticed is that as we apply charity into our actions, especially when we do not want to, it turns potentially anger filled moments into happy memories.  Boring moments into magical ones.  The mundane occurrences of our lives into memorable occasions. The love of God changes everything. 

 To end, revel for a moment in the awkwardness of missionary life with me. Once upon a time, my companion and I were biking around diligently seeking a bathroom. Apparently, there was a ward party going on in the middle of the day because not a member was home. We were headed to our next option when we saw a lady in her garage. Naturally, we stop to talk to her. Her name is Stephanie; she's an atheist. Super nice, not interested. She starts to get in her car when a desperate idea pops in my head. Suddenly I'm asking her to let us in to use her bathroom. Surprisingly, she did. Now I know that she gets her curly hair from her dad, is taking a genetics test, and has a son named Triumph. I will forever remember the look on her face when I asked to use her bathroom. I hope you feel as awkward as I did. 

 It is now time for me to play with the basket and the ball. Bye. 

Love you all,
Sister Barlow


Shenanigans

Comments

Popular Posts