The Talk


First off, the news: 


 Sister Donaldson was transferred (NNNOOOOOOONONONONONNONNOOOOOOILOVEDHER). It was a sad day. 

 But, I'M BACK WITH SISTER FOSTER (my MTC companion) WAHOO!


 I'm pretty sure President Wheeler put us together because he knows she's the only one who can control this mess.




















On Thursday (Sister Foster's first day in the area) I made her bike in a monsoon, and we got SOAKED






 I also almost died while playing scatter ball this morning. I was the only person standing in my zone and was chased down by six elders. I lasted like four whole minutes though so improvement. I was momentarily stellar at dodging, and even got a few people out. There has been a marked improvement.

 Moving on. 


 We need to talk. And by that, I mean I'm going to talk (write), and you're going to listen (read). Let's talk about my blog. Recently I've been thinking about the purpose of having a blog. My dad proposed it as a way to not have to constantly add people to an email list. Perhaps I can use it for something more. 

 Last week I told you about the awkward reality that I am a mess of constant stress. One of the benefits of weekly emails home is that it forces me to write down some of what I'm thinking or feeling. This helps me to comprehend, at least a little bit, some of what is happening. My hope is that this process and this blog will help me and will help you. When I joyfully recount miracles or unload my mental burdens or tell you a dumb joke, it is an effort to relate to you. I am determined that (unless I am pressed for time) this blog will not consist of a synopsis of each day and a typical, last minute spiritual thought to close. That won't do either you or I any real good. 

 We are not living the same life. The majority of you reading this are not serving a mission at the current moment. At first glance, it might seem like the stresses of mission life, and the miracles that accompany it don't relate to you because you find yourself in an entirely different situation in life. Maybe you're at college or raising a family or both. Maybe you're somewhere in between or somewhere else entirely. 

 As different as we may be, we are both humans. Sometimes I laugh so hard I forget how to breathe. Sometimes I form friendships so quickly I swear we must have hung out in the premortal existence. Sometimes there is unnamed stress so deep I feel it in my spine. Sometimes there are burdens so heavy the weight seeps underneath my shoulder blades. Sometimes I'm so frustrated with myself or my circumstances I want to cry. Sometimes I do cry. Sometimes the joy I feel is so incomprehensible I can't wrangle it into words. Sometimes life is just normal, nothing spectacular about it. Any of that sound familiar? There's a lot that you and I have in common. 

 One of the things that we have in common is that we both have a long laundry list of things we need to do. 

 We need to be kinder. We need to go to bed earlier. We need to exercise more and eat better. We need to be more diligent in our study of the scriptures, serve more, love more. We need to work harder and spend more time with family. We need to stress less and be more productive. Manage our time wisely, laugh harder, be a little taller (story of my liiffffe). We need to; we need to; we need to. Are you feeling overwhelmed? Exhausted already? And there's still so much more to add. 

 Now pause. Listen. There is nothing you or I or anybody need more than we need the Savior. That's it. That's all we really need. Luckily, our greatest need is always there. We simply need to reach out. 

 Pause again. Pull out your phone. Don't question, just do. You'll thank me later. What is the one thing you can do today to strengthen your relationship with your Savior? Lots, I'm sure. Pick one. Put it in your notes, set an alarm. That mini goal you just set is what you now live for every day this week. Do that one thing every day for the next week. 

 As a representative of your Savior, Jesus Christ, I can promise you that as you take this one step every day, you will come closer to your Savior. As you do, you'll feel more peace, more love, more joy. It's what happens to us naturally, seeing as we are both spirit children of our Heavenly Father. Trust in God and accomplish your goal. 

 Love, 

Sister Barlow

Comments

Popular Posts