Week Two's Misadventures


So, when I first came into the mission field we were having our welcome to the mission meeting and the AP's mentioned the "pizza curse" that is apparently specific to the mission. The deal is that once you say something along the lines of "man pizza sounds great right now." BAM!! The members feed you nothing but pizza. When the AP's said that I rolled my eyes and thought to myself "pfft, elders think they’re so funny." And then Thursday rolled around. We were supposed to be having dinner at this one member family house, but then the mom called and said that they were having a pool party for one of their little girls and someone else's little boy and we were invited to join them for dinner (but not for swimming cause mission rules duh). We get there and what are we having? Pizza. Cause it's a kid’s party. No big deal. Nothing abnormal. We enjoy it, and at the end of our visit, we thank them for it. Saying something like "thanks for the pizza. It was such a treat." NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. DON’T SAY THAT. So, then we stop by this potential investigator we have and she invites us over Friday night to share a message and to have pizza. Yeah okay, we would absolutely love too! Never mind the fact that we technically have a dinner appointment already set up. So, Friday night we had two dinners. We get in the car Thursday night having set up this appointment, and I laugh a little and mention the rumor of the pizza curse because it's a little funny. We show up to our first dinner appointment on Friday night and come to find out that with this member family we are in fact having pizza. THE PIZZA CURSE IS REAL, but it also seems to be over, so it's all good and highly entertaining. Hahahahaha. So much pizza.



One night at dinner (before the pizza curse began) the AP's called us, and I went to turn off the sound for the ringer but accidentally answered the call.  Then while they were on the line I said "do I just hang up?" and then I just hung up on them.  Whoops. I’m a dingus. Sorry AP’s.




Every Wednesday and Saturday morning we get up at 5:45 am to go play sports with our zone. And every Monday morning is spent playing sports with a neighboring zone. Always an entertaining time. Saturday morning I was nailed in the face (but I'm fine), and this morning my companion rolled her ankle (but she's fine). I might get to be our zone’s mascot because I run around and make a lot of noise but I am not much use when it comes to the actual sport. Whatever. I provide comedic relief.



Staying with sports, we played basketball with a 12-year-old female investigator. It was super fun. A couple of the other sister missionaries joined us, and one of the sisters in the ward brought her kids along to play, so it was quite the party.  And I am still the mascot.



The rest of our investigators are a struggling bunch, but we're figuring it out. But there was this great moment when we wanted to stop by an investigator’s house Sunday night, and we decided to text first, but she didn’t respond right away.  Not to give up so easily we prayed and then she texted back so yay for prayer.



There's some sort of something going around, and I got it on Saturday. I woke up to go to sports feeling a bit nauseous but didn't think much of it. I just thought I was tired and perhaps dehydrated (that happens super-fast here). When we got home, I decided to take a nap in place of showering because I still didn't feel all that great. It helped a little, so we kept doing our thing.  We went out and about, but the heat and the movement made me feel like vomiting, so Sister Rowley took me home.  I crashed on my bed and slept for about an hour and a half. Felt a bit better, so I decided to eat something. This is where it gets terrible. My stomach was angry so what do poor, sick people apparently eat? BANANAS. What did I eat? A WHOLE FREAKING BANANA. IT WAS AWFUL. I hate bananas. After I had finished choking down that nastiness, we went out again to do some work, but we were only out for about an hour and a half when I just couldn't handle life anymore. We got home, and yep, my body temperature was up to 100. We called the nurse, and I guess I had some sort of flu. My whole body ached, and my fever got all the way up to about 102.1. We called a sister in the ward, and she brought over medicine for me (and chicken noodle soup, crackers, and Gatorade because she rocks!) and then we called the zone leaders so that I could get a priesthood blessing. I was feeling much better by the end of the night and fever free before nine Saturday night. Sister Rowley straightened my hair Saturday night since we were stuck inside because I was dying of the flu and I look older with straight hair, and I vote no.



It’s been at least a few years (I think) since my temperature was that high so all my energy was wiped so Sunday was a long day. But I'm feeling better this morning. We went to most of church (we were still gone from 10am-3pm because we cover three wards).  I also attended my first ward council (super exciting).

  

A few other things that happened this week: I held a turtle (I think his name is Flash, ha) and met a bunch more people. Tracted some doors, had some awkward moments, and a couple of good lessons. We put together care packages for some kids of a member that have to move, and I almost fell asleep during a lesson. Also, it's now just Sister Rowley and me as Sister Ludeman moved on.



Lastly, I had my once a transfer interview with the mission president and he said "you’re so low maintenance it scares me" hahaha. But then I had a mini freak-out with my fever melted brain so theres that.



Ok. Bye.

Love you all.

Comments

Popular Posts